Every woman at least once in their lifetime would have gone through delayed periods phase. Many of us will ask ourselves whether I am pregnant. But, it is not that you need to be pregnant, because of which the cycle got delayed. It can be caused due to hormonal imbalances, or due to any serious medical conditions. Also, there are two phases in life where you can experience to have a delayed period cycle. Yes! You are right! When you attain the first onset of your periods and when you pass by the menopause stage. The normal and healthy menstrual cycle ranges anywhere between 21 to 35 days. Let’s read through the article and find out the possible reasons for the cause of delayed periods in you:
10 Possible causes for delayed periods:
- Obesity: Yes! If you are an overweight individual, it can bring affect your menstrual cycle. You may have delayed periods, or sometimes your period might accompany with severe stomach pain. The cause for irregular periods is due to the hormonal imbalance. The ovaries produce estrogen hormone, but the fat cells in the body also produces estrogen, which causes thickening of the uterine lining and brings infrequent periods.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): PCOS is caused by hormonal imbalance, and it is common to notice in many women. PCOS can cause irregular menstrual periods.
- Contraceptive pills: The incessant use of contraceptive pills can bring hormonal change in women and due to this it can cause delayed periods.
- Thyroid issues: Thyroid regulates our body’s metabolism. If you are suffering from underactive thyroid hormone or overactive thyroid hormone, both of which can affect your hormone drastically and can cause late or missed periods.
- Profound stress: Stress can bring a profound impact on your monthly cycle. Stress increases the production of gonadotropin-releasing hormone, increase body weight; it affects your regular menstrual cycle.
- Medications: If you are on the use of medications such as anticonvulsants, thyroid, antidepressants, and other chemotherapy medications, may bring delayed periods.
- Too much physical activity or exercise: Extreme exercise can cause profound changes in the thyroid and pituitary hormones, which might make your cycle to miss. If you are planning to go for a strenuous workout, consult the sports medicine doctor and get your nutrition chart framed before you burn your calories.
- Sudden weight loss: Sudden loss in your body weight can disturb your regular menstrual cycle. The insufficient nutritional balance cannot maintain or produce hormones in your body and may interfere with the regular hormone production and may delay your periods.
- Breastfeeding: If you are a new mom started breastfeeding your baby, and then it takes several months to return your menstrual cycle. Breastfeeding can bring delayed or missed periods.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): If you are suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease, it can severely affect your menstrual cycle.
When to see the doctor?
If you are suffering from delayed periods for long weeks, check for pregnancy if the test shows negative, book an appointment with the doctor to check for any underlying medical issues. Order medicines from the trusted online medicine site and avail amazing medicine discounts on every order you place.
Many reasons can cause delayed periods. A thorough examination, proper treatment, and on-time evaluation can ease delayed period issue if you are suffering from. Also, changing your diet, and following a good and stress-free lifestyle can reduce any sorts of diseases and disorders.